A new framework for foreign direct investments in the United Kingdom
- The United Kingdom Government has adopted a CFIUS-style National Security and Investment Act (“the Act”).
- The new law takes effect in later in 2021, but UK Government may look back at deals from November 2020 onward.
- The Act is considered one of the most far-reaching systems in the world, carrying civil and criminal penalties for a failure to notify.
- A notifiable acquisition completed without the approval of the Secretary of State is void (of no legal effect).
- The UK Government has stated that it will work closely with investors to help ease the market into the new framework of investment rules.
Continue Reading CFIUK Comes to Life: The National Security and Investment Act 2021